Ishita Banik is an Indian Author and she has published many books. Her debut novel was “If we last”. We have got an opportunity to ask few question related to her journey of becoming an author and few questions related to her life.
1. When did you first realize you wanted to be an author?
Ishita Banik: I wrote a poem or short story (I can’t remember exactly) when I was in first grade. And since that time I wanted to write only!
2. Who is your inspiration? like the author you read for writing inspiration or general inspiration.
Ishita Banik: Though I have a lot of favorite authors who are my inspiration, I am more into the thriller and mystery genre. And so Agatha Christie, Sidney Sheldon, Dan Brown- are some of my favorites.
3. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
Ishita Banik: Mostly it just comes to my mind. Also, I often take ideas from my dreams, thoughts and sometimes real life observations.
4. What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Ishita Banik: I love to travel a lot, and also I love doodling, designing, and spending time with pets.
5. Can you tell our listeners about the ups and downs you have faced during your career as an author?
Ishita Banik: Yes, there have been a lot of struggles that mostly I had to fight with myself. I took the decision of being an author at a point in my life when a lot was at stake- my career, future, higher studies…but I gave in to what my heart said. It may sound filmy or poetic, but that’s exactly what I did, I left my higher studies, I left my IT job and most importantly I got over the insecurities about what others will say. I had been criticised at times for taking such abrupt decision…but in the end…I am happy for all the journey and where it brought me. And if you are satisfied with yourself, then what else matters?
6. For you, what makes a great story?
Ishita Banik: It has to be a combination of – unique, realistic and emotional, without overdoing any of these.
7. Any short story from your life which you think can help other young struggling authors to inspire.
Ishita Banik: Let me tell you a real life incident. I got rejected by a lot of publishing houses initially. And then, just a few days ago, one of those publishing houses approached me on their own! Now, think…what would happen if rejections stop you? It’s your loss and not of the world or any one else! So, be unstoppable.
8. Information about your upcoming novel that you think you can share with your fans.
Ishita Banik: Recently the last and final part of the best-selling light-year trilogy got released- As We Last. Next is a collection of paranormal stories- Don’t Turn Off the Lights Tonight.
9. A final parting word of advice?
Ishita Banik: Always go for your dreams, if you are yet to do it, do it right now! Because, trust me, ‘now’ is the most perfect time to start!
Also Read: 5 Books That Can Boost Your Confidence Level
Author Interview: Ishita Banik